Thinking of moving to Austria? Here is all you need to know about Banks.

When moving to a new country, one of the first things people do is look for a bank where they want to open a bank account. Here you will find a list of everything you need to know when moving to Austria. 

Opening a bank account in Austria may take a bit of time, especially if you are not from the EU. Be prepared to have a lot of documents at hand, as some banks may ask for them. Most banks would require you to have:
  1. Passport (non-EU) or a government-issued ID (EU)
  2. Residence Registration ("Meldezettel")
  3. For NON-EU: Proof of residence in Austria (Residence Permit)
  4. For STUDENTS: Student Identification (Student ID/Letter of Enrolment)
In some cases, they may also ask for your employment information.

To open a bank account, you will likely have to call in advance and more an appointment ("Termin"). 

You will often see signs in front of restaurants, bars or bakeries that say "Cash Only" or "Card Only" - be prepared to have more at hand!

Most used banks in Austria are:
Bank Austria (UniCredit Bank)
Erste Bank

Other banks include:

When deciding between different banks it is beneficial to think about what the account will be used for. Other banks have different monthly payments, be sure to compare the packages!

Feel free to contact our team if you have any questions regarding moving to Austria or any other country.